This article details the process of updating to a newer version of SureSync 9.
Software Pursuits regularly updates SureSync to include new enhancements, features and fixes. Staying as current as possible with your deployed SureSync release is strongly recommend for the best possible experience with the software. The instructions in this article will describe the process of upgrading from one minor revision of SureSync 9 to another. For example, upgrading from 9.0.1 to 9.0.2.
When upgrading to a new release of SureSync 9, the Scheduler service will be removed. The Scheduler must be re-installed for your Schedules and Real-Time Monitors to run at the appropriate times after the update. Please note the user account the "Software Pursuits SureSync 9 Scheduler Service" is running under before upgrading. You should reinstall the Scheduler with the same account to ensure the Scheduler has the appropriate permissions in the SureSync database to launch your Jobs, Schedules and Real-Time Monitors.
Steps to Update
Please follow the steps below to update SureSync 9 to the current version.
- Download the latest build of SureSync 9 (SureSync9Setup.exe) by clicking here.
- On the main SureSync machine where the full application is installed, stop any running Jobs, Schedules or Real-Time Monitors. Schedules and Real-Time Monitors should be placed on hold on the General tab of each item to prevent them from launching until after the update is complete.
- Close the SureSync Desktop and any other open user interface panels such the Log Viewer, Detailed Status or Enterprise Status.
- There is no need to stop any SureSync related services; the installer will do that for you.
- Launch the SureSync installer (SureSync9Setup.exe) and follow the on-screen instructions. The first step will remove the old version. Your database and all of your settings will be maintained.
- Once the old version has been removed, the setup will install the new version. The installer will have automatically selected the installation type and path that was previously used on the machine. Continue clicking "Next" through the installer until the installation process begins.
- On any Communications Agent machines, run the installer and follow the prompts. The old version of the Communications Agent will be removed and the new version installed.
- Launch the SureSync Desktop on the main machine. If you had a Scheduler service installed (almost all installations do), you will be prompted to reinstall the Scheduler. This must be done to allow your Schedules and Real-Time Monitors to execute at the correct times.
- Take your Schedules and Real-Time Monitors off of held status on the General tab of each item to resume your synchronization/replication using the new version.
- A reboot is not necessary to perform an update as long as the instructions above are carefully followed. A reboot is only needed when a component is in use and none should be if all the processes are stopped as described.
- Be sure to read the release notes before upgrading by clicking here. Often, the Communications Agents will be compatible from one version to another in the v9 release level. This allows you to upgrade the Communications Agent machines in a staged manner. However, if compatibility is broken it will be mentioned in the release notes and all Communications Agents need to be updated at the same time.
- If your environment uses SyncLockStatus, an upgrade to the SyncLockStatus clients could be necessary. Software Pursuits makes every effort to keep old SyncLockStatus versions compatible with new version to avoid having to upgrade the software on end user machines. If SyncLockStatus needs to be updated, it will be mentioned in the release notes.