There are times when it might be necessary to move a SPIAgent installation to a new machine with a different NetBIOS name. For instance, if the machine running the SPIAgent has a hardware failure or is replaced by a new piece of hardware. This is different from moving a full SureSync installation. Most of the configuration changes are made on the main SureSync machine.
To move the SPIAgent to a different machine you would do the following:Please be aware that you might get licensing warnings as you work through this process. This happens because you’re technically exceeding your license until the old SPIAgent machine is removed completely. Just continue through the steps and the licensing issues will clear themselves by the time you’re done with the process.
- Install the SPIAgent on the new machine.
- On the main SureSync machine, place any Schedules and Real-Time Monitors on hold that reference the old SPIAgent machine.
- On the main SureSync machine, go to Tools | SPIAgent Setup and configure the new SPIAgent.
- On the main SureSync machine, go through all of your Relations that reference the old machine and modify those paths to reference the new machine. This is done by clicking on the General tab of the Relation, highlighting the path to the old machine, and clicking Edit. You can then select the new agent from the drop-down and then browse to the correct location on the new machine.
- Once all references have been updated, go to Help | Licenses and click the "Activations" button. Check "Deactivate" next to the name of the old SPIAgent machine and click the "Activate or Refresh via Internet" button. This will deactivate the old machine.
- Go to Tools | SPIAgent Setup and select the old machine. Click the "Remove" button to completely free the license.
- Go back to Help | Licenses, click the "Activations" button, check Activate next to the new SPIAgent machine machine, and click the "Activate or Refresh via Internet" button to activate the new license.
Also, if you’re unsure of your configuration changes then it is a good idea to preview each Relation before turning your Schedules and Real-Time Monitors back on.